Winter is rapidly approaching. Although some Denver-ites may enjoy the snow, others may be hesitant to drive in the less-than-favorable conditions. Justifiably so—more than 116,000 Americans are injured and over 1,300 are killed because of bad winter roads. Fortunately, there are things you can do to stay safe and help prevent auto accidents, including:
- Be aware of inclement weather while driving such as high winds, low temps, fog, rain, heavy snow and reduced visibility.
- Make sure your tires have plenty of tread and air pressure to take on the snow.
- Check fluid levels consistently to ensure you have plenty of windshield wiper fluid, oil and antifreeze.
- Make sure your car’s windshield wipers are working properly. If they can’t clear your windshield of rain or snow, replace them as quickly as possible.
- Clear any snow that may have piled up on your car—not doing so can cause a risk to other drivers.
- Maintain a safe driving distance between you and other cars.
- Drive slower than usual to help prevent your car from slipping on the road.
In case you do become a victim of an auto accident while in a heavy winter storm, keep the following emergency items in your car to help keep everyone safe:
- First aid kit
- Cell phone charger
- Boots, gloves and hat
- Ice scraper/shovel
- Jumper cables
- Cat litter (for traction)
At Leventhal Sar LLC, we understand that even when you take the proper precautions, accidents still can and do happen—especially in the winter. If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident caused by the negligence of another driver, our experienced car accident attorneys can help. Together, we will fight for the justice and compensation you deserve.
To schedule your initial case review with one of our auto accident lawyers, give our office a call at 720.667.3030. We proudly serve clients in Denver, Aurora and surrounding the Colorado communities.