Advances in car safety have made impressive strides over the past decade, but pedestrians are just as vulnerable as ever. In fact, pedestrian accidents may be a greater threat today than they were 10 years ago, since the propensity of cell phone use has increased, leaving many pedestrians with their heads down and their eyes off traffic.
The Denver pedestrian accident attorneys at Leventhal Sar LLC understand that these accidents can leave victims with traumatic injuries, high medical expenses and time away from work.
According to SafeKids.org, pedestrian-vehicle injuries are the fifth leading cause of death for children aged 5 to 19. However, no age group is immune to these dangerous and deadly accidents. Here are a few tips for children and adults of all ages:
- Walk in groups
- Wear bright, reflective clothing
- Only cross at designated crosswalks
- Children younger than 10 should always cross the street with an adult
- Never rely on a car to stop
- If your view is blocked, move to a place where you can see oncoming traffic
- Never use a cell phone or other electronic device while walking
- Don’t wear headphones while walking
- Be aware of drivers and their blind spots, even when you’re in a crosswalk
- Make eye contact with drivers of oncoming vehicles to make sure they see you
- Look left, right and left again before crossing the street
If you or someone you love has been injured while walking in Aurora, Cherry Creek or Denver, contact the pedestrian accident attorneys at Leventhal Sar LLC today online or at 720.667.3030 to discuss your case for free. We work on a contingency basis, so we don’t get paid until you do.